4WD Discover utility body
THE CONVERSION UTILITY BODY THAT OPTIMISES VOLUMES IN THE CARGO AREA
Pick-up van conversion with utility body installed to replace the vehicle van body is a smart solution to solve multiple problems resulting from the use of standard N1 vans for special applications.
- Possibility of making the most of the off-road features of this 4WD pick-up model;
- Ergonomic system since cargo area material can be easily picked up from ground level without having to get on and off the vehicle several times;
- Possibility of making the best use of the available space in the cargo area, without having to provide for its access through aisles or special access zones;
- Improved operator driving comfort since the cab is mounted on suitable shock absorbers and the load is secured inside the utility body;
- Improved operating efficiency thanks to easier picking up of the loaded material and tidier, more rational positioning;
- More efficient use of the vehicle thanks to the distribution of outfitting and cargo weights;
- Possibility of re-using the box body also in the event of vehicle replacement with a similar one;
- Functional design harmonised with the shape of the vehicle so as not to affect aerodynamic and balance performance.
Item out of production for Fiat fullback starting from January 2020
THE UTILITY BODY STRUCTURE
The utility body for pick-up consists of a strong main structure made of welded and bolted automotive-type steel. It is equipped with large side doors that allow for easy and ergonomic access to the material and equipment neatly packed into the modules installed internally. The box body equipment is completed by lights and accessories in compliance with the applicable directives and laws in force.
The structure is bolted to the chassis of the vehicle at the original fixing points in the body, by interposing special vibration-damping elements, in compliance with the base vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
A shaped and paint-finished galvannealed automotive steel support is fixed with special nuts and bolts to the main structure to house the plate and the rear lights so as to restore compliance with the provisions of the applicable Community directives and traffic regulations. The third stop light is also integrated in the rear upper part for extra safety.
The wiring systems are designed for this specific application according to the base vehicle manufacturer’s directions.
UTILITY BODY DOORS
The pick-up conversion is completed with the application of doors to the main structure, in the side walls. The top part opens upwards according to a “gull-wing” design by operating a handle. Once the upper door has been opened, a lock can be activated on the inside of the lower overhead door to open it in a downward direction.
In this way, wide sized, ergonomic access to the cargo area can be obtained. The upper door can also be used as a screen against sunlight or rain. When the doors are closed, they act as an extra structural support. Infiltration tightness is guaranteed by the shaping of the doors and by the application of rubber seals.
The outside part of the doors is made of automotive-type galvannealed steel, shaped and paint-finished. An internal aluminium plate is glued and riveted to it – equipped with a corrugated stiffening element. The structural glue used has the additional effect of absorbing vibrations thus reducing noise levels.
UTILITY BODY OUTFITTING
The interior design of the cargo area, replacing the pick-up truck body, includes the installation of special modules the structure of which is made of automotive-class steel. The modules, fixed directly to the box body frame, to the floor and by also inserting plywood panels, contribute to the overall strengthening of the utility body, increasing its rigidity. The pick-up truck can be equipped with shelving, drawers and automotive-class steel modules according to working requirements.
LADDER RACKS & ROOF RACKS
The ladder rack, a must-have accessory for pick-up trucks, is designed for transporting, loading and unloading ladders on the box body roof – in totally safety conditions. In a few simple operations and with limited effort, the ladder is placed in a semi-vertical position on the rear of the vehicle and from this position, it is loaded or unloaded.
The main advantages are the following:
- The operator does not have to climb on the roof of the vehicle with the resulting risk of falling from a height;
- The ladder can be handled for loading and unloading from an extremely comfortable position with little effort;
- The ladder can be ready for use in a significantly shorter time;
- The ladder can be easily secured for transport on the vehicle from ground level;
- Correct repositioning of the ladder rack can be ensured via special safety devices.
- No scratches and dents in the vehicle roof – which would be inevitable if ladder elements had to be positioned and handled otherwise;
- No damage to the ladder uprights as these will not come into contact with sharp corners in the vehicle bodywork during loading and unloading.